Monday, October 31, 2011

Occasions

Happy Halloween! I hope everyone is having a blast either showing off a costume or overdosing on candy meant for children.


Hondurans do not celebrate Halloween, a pagan holiday. In fact, most children are not allowed to mention it, let alone don a costume. However, because I live in a community with many North Americans, we indulged in a Halloween party. Behold:


The ladies of the yellow house: Red Crayon, Rapunzel (from Tangled), Blue Crayon, and Latehsha, from Real Housewives of Grandville (photo courtesy of Sarah Lucas).


 Latehsha is bored with Tribal Woman. I, however, think she's a lot of fun.





Snookie and Latehsha deserve each other.





Pac-man trio. Esther, on the far right, won the Best Costume award as a Pac-man ghost (photo courtesy of Sarah Lucas).





The party happened at casa gigante (giant house - IST houses have specific names). This house has a back porch which boasts a spectacular view of the city, especially at night.


Take one.




























Take two.





The Halloween party was Friday night. On Saturday night, I wore a very different outfit to attend a wedding in Valle de Angeles. 


Paula and I in our dresses (check out Paula's sassy new shoes!)





Paula and Manu. 





My new amigas, Yajaira and Esmeralda! This really represents the height ratio between most Hondurans and myself.





The ladies of the barrio, Paula, and myself. 




It may be said before any of the below points: "You know you've witnessed a pueblo (village) wedding if. . .". 
      - Jeans are allowed. 
      - It's ok to talk through the ceremony. And when I say talk, I don't mean
        whisper.  
      - Stray dogs may wander through at any point.
      - A fight happens outside the church.

In all seriousness, it was a beautiful ceremony. I was very honored to be invited. ¡Felicidades a Karla y Roberto!

Random: Just for kicks, I took some pictures of chickens/chicks in the backyard of some friends in Valle.The chicks were hiding from the rain in their little house. I couldn't resist.  Adorable!

Alejandro, the chick-whisperer. He picked up a baby chicken for me so I could hold one. 


Enjoy your holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment