Thursday, November 1, 2012

I got Bieber fever.

Hope everyone is enjoying the start of November! I . . . am. Mostly. Sort of. Ok, barely. This week is exam week at IST and it's been strangely relaxed and stressful at the same time.  I don't have to teach five classes a day but I am proctoring exams, running review sessions, and giving my own exam.

The thing is, doing work while proctoring exams is like trying to do work while driving. You constantly have to keep your eyes on the scenery. So I read one line and then scan the room, read another line, another scan. You get the picture.

As for my English exam, it happens tomorrow. It's 8 pages front and back, which is standard, but I'm nervous for my students. In fact, I was extremely frustrated today. I hosted two review sessions, neither of which I got through with much success. Plus, many of my students have failed to print out/look at the study guide that I posted on our page last week. Yikes!

Sigh. Honestly, I feel like I've tried most of the means at my disposal to help them study (we are not allowed to give our students copies of the study guide). We even had two days of review in class. Needless to say, I was disappointed when they could not properly identify a verb and resorted to shouting out all of our grammatical concepts, and even some terms they made up themselves: Pronoun! Indefinite! Phrasal! Predicate! Subject! Relative adjective! What?!

However, it is what it is. I will accept the advice of my colleagues and "shake it off."

At least my students still have the arts. This is one student's rendering of my face (along with a kiss from Lucia):


This is what my students think about instead of classes of nouns and cases of pronouns:


The egg-shaped Justin Bieber face was drawn by the same student who created the lovely drawing of my face. Danna added her two cents later.


Double sigh.

Big plans this week: grading exams, going to the mall to see Skyfall (the new James Bond movie), and then getting a hair cut. Hope your weekend is equally as glamorous.

All my best and a thousand hugs from Honduras,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment