Sunday, October 28, 2012

My wife! My love! Mi amor! How you doing'?

When I walk around in public here, I avoid wearing sunglasses despite the ginormous ball of fire in the sky. Big, Hollywood sunglasses scream GRINGA! and MUG ME! I HAVE MONEY. Either way, I still get more catcalls than I can count on four hands. In Honduran culture, men are more forward, if I may say, in expressing their satisfaction with a woman's physique. A lady can expect to hear anything from kissing noises (this is a common one) to the Honduran noise for I want your attention (which sounds like a "ch ch" sound) thrown in her general direction. My first day in Honduras, for instance, we went to the grocery store. I was perusing the ever-flashy candy aisle when I heard the word "muñeca" whispered around me. I looked up and a few feet away from me was a middle aged man staring at me. He said it againmuñecamuñeca, with an odd sort of smile. I thought to myself I don't see any dolls in this aisle. Later, I realized that that I was in fact the muñeca. Babydoll. 

Since then I've heard:
My wife! 
My love!
Mi amor!
Marry me!
How you doin'? 
Welcome to my country.
I love you, baby.
Mmmm. (Gross).
Mmmm. Que rico!
(How hot/lush/rich! - This word is actually used most often with food, as in How delicious! Double gross). 

Now, I try my best to notice the differences between my home culture and the Honduran culture, not the negatives about Honduran culture. For example, time is more relaxed here. This is different, not wrong or foolish. Because I'm accustomed to U.S. culture, it's easy to say that it's the best and the North American way of doing things is the smart way of doing things. This would be incredibly arrogant of me.  However, as a woman, I struggle with this aspect of Honduran culture. 

You would think it would feel nice, receiving attention from men, but catcalls are never the attention that you want. Sometimes, a bus or a car will pass me while I'm walking and from the vehicle a guy is literally staring me down, intense and unblinking, from the time I enter his line of vision until he can't see me anymore. I know this because I try to glare at men who do this. Unfortunately, they remain undaunted and seem to enjoy uncomfortable eye contact. 


This video, although taken by accident and completely unrelated, gives a pretty literal portrayal of this phenomenon.


It's difficult for me to not get upset because in the States, if a guy kissed at me from a two-story roof, it would be completely rude. I would be justified in getting offended, but here it seems like no big deal.  In fact, the other day, I went to the bank and the security guard outside kept staring at me. He knew I was aware of him and he slowly  looked me up and down . . . as I watched. Then he gave me the eyebrows. Goo. This security guard is not unlike taxi driver the other day who saw a gringa walking down the street and suddenly pulled up so close to me, a tire may have brushed my shoes. Taxi?! Taxi?! No, sir, I will not be requiring your services. 

This discomfort is augmented somewhat by the fact that I have to keep all my precious possessions - my credit cards, my phone, my keys, my cash, my insurance card, my grocery list - in my bra. So when I need them, I have to go digging around under my shirt. It’s a nice visual, I’m sure, and especially awkward when I pull out that sweaty credit card and hand it directly to the cashier or the teller. Sorry 'bout that.

Also awkward is getting my MoneyGram slip from the bank and the designated recipient is “Crandy Kehr," instead of "Randy." 

Did I mention awkward? Check out this picture on the back on my cereal box, meant to encourage self breast exams. WARNING: ADULT CONTENT BELOW.

 

Auto-examine your boob! Now, I support caring for one’s breasts but this particular breast definitely looks enhanced. Look at her tiny hand!  FYI: In Honduras, it's generally ok to whip out your boob as long as you're breast-feeding. I've seen many a nipple in public here and that’s the truth of it.

On that note, hope you're enjoying the weekend. Today, we lost power from about 9am to 3pm and now that it's back on, I think I will commence with making potato soup in the crock-pot and grading. 

All my best and a thousand hugs from Honduras!

No comments:

Post a Comment